- September 7, 2021
- Posted by: International Renaissance Centre
- Category: Social Media
- Gets in the way of life (work, school, or relationships). Do you scroll on social media instead of working or engaging with others? Sometimes we allow social media to get in the way of learning, productivity, or relationships.
- Feeds feelings of low self-esteem, anxiety, or depression. Have you found yourself opening social media to check likes and comments? Or maybe you’ve seen others’ highlight reels of their activities, only to feel worse about yourself. These are common ways social media feeds low self-esteem, anxiety, and depression.
- Disrupts sleep. Do you scroll on social media at night instead of getting rest? If scrolling on social media disrupts your sleep, you might want to consider your limits with social media each night.
What is your intention when you log onto social media? Is it to connect with a friend? Take a couple of moments to set an intention before you open the social media platform.
2. There’s an app for that.
Use an app that controls the amount of time you spend on social media platforms. If you spend too much time on social media, set limits on how much time you spend on these platforms.
3. Turn off notifications.
Does your phone light up every time you receive a like or comment? It might help you to turn off notifications on your phone.
Huge numbers of people scroll through social media instead of sleeping at night. Avoid joining this crowd! Put your phone out of reach – or better yet, another room when it’s time to rest.
5. Delete social media apps on your phone.
You can delete apps on your phone altogether. This way, if you really need to check the social media platform, you must do it from your laptop or computer.
6. Replace a social media habit with something new.
Reach out to a friend, read a book, go for a walk. The key is to think about why you crave going on social media – and replace that habit with something that fills the same need.
Paying close attention to the way you use social media can help you to feel happier and get greater enjoyment out of life.